Before I get into what I did for my project I think it's good you know the background of this project because it's different than our regular projects. This was a group project however we all got separate grades. Mr. Wimmer told us that we had a community project and that it would help an event called Give Local York. Give Local York was an event to raise money for non profit organizations and we were there to help raise money for the stretch pool that gives a little to everyone. There was 10 of us in this group and we all had assignments that we had to get done.
My English component
My English component was writing most of the emails for the group that was sent to the administration and people telling them why we should be allowed to do this. I had to make sure that each of my emails were professional and weren't too lengthy with fluff. We convinced people to let us borrow tables, papers, the culinary room, and money to get resources. I also wrote a reflect as well. In my reflection I told about my experiences and then I wrote about what type of persuasion technique I used to get people to listen to me. Lastly, I took notes at meetings and conversation, so we didn't forget anything.
My History Component
For history I looked at persuasion techniques and how to persuade people. It helped me write all my emails convincing people to help us. I looked at more than just pathos, logos, and ethos, I looked at some that our different. Like foot in the door technique is a different one that I found many people use. It's when someone asks something small of you, so you say yes and once you're committed they'll continue asking more and more out of you. The technique is common for people working on events or charity. It was used on me during the project and I ended up bringing the food, drinks, a cart, a canopy, the crafts, bags, the balloons, and boxes to the event. So the technique certainly works.
My Art Component
For art I made two types of cookies, dirt cups, crafts and a balloon popping board. We made chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies in the shape of panther paws. The panther paws were 3D printed into three sizes which were small, medium, and big. The small cookie cutters worked the best, so those are the ones we used. Two days we peeped snd baked the cookies, so we really didn't have time for a test bake. They were still delicious though. The dirt cups were made the day of, so they could be fresh, but they turned out way too liquidly because the pudding wouldn't set no matter how hard we tried. The worm ended up dissolving in the cup which made it taste pretty gross. We pipe cleaner pals, ball shooters, and clothespin butterflies. The ball shooters were the hardest to make, but the most popular with kids. We made examples the day before to let them see what they could look like, but we also had a person there to help them. I designed the print for the canvas that we popped balloons on. The balloons were filled with yellow, red, and blue paint for the Give Local York colors and the design was a bunch of Give Local York logos. When we taped the balloons to the board we ended up using masking tape, but when the tape got wet it made the balloons fall to the bottom. Everyone enjoyed popping the balloons and watching the paint splatter.